Parish History

Orignial Church

Saint Matthias Episcopal Church is a parish in the Episcopal Diocese of Central Florida under The Right Rev. Gregory O. Brewer, Bishop.

In 1943 a local doctor approached Bishop Wing about the need for an Episcopal Church in Clermont.  The Bishop responded by appointing a priest from Eustis as vicar to hold services every Sunday at 4:00 p.m.  There were 13 original members of this group, eleven of whom were women (the good doctor had moved away before the mission was begun in 1944).

For two years the group met in The Community House on Minneola Avenue until one of the group offered her garage which was transformed into a very nice little chapel on the same street.

In 1948 land was given to the Mission where the church now stands today.  In 1961 the mission became a Parish. In 1998 the parish purchased “the little house” to the east of the church which is used for Sunday School.  Two years later, in 2000, the church was enlarged by adding the east transept which almost doubled the seating capacity of the building.

Of particular note is the little pipe organ which was built in 1844; it is thought to be the second oldest organ in the state of Florida.  It was purchased and installed in 1999.